December 8, 2014

A Challenging Christmas Moment Can Make For Funny Future Memories...



In honor of challenging holiday moments I am reposting one of my blogs from last year. I received many comments and emails from readers about their own funny stories. Honestly, I feel for parents of little ones, who spend every waking moment from Thanksgiving to Christmas Eve in search of the "it gift" of the year. In the event that you come away empty handed, please know that you will one day laugh about it...  


                                                               ~ ~ ~


This morning I was working on a project in my kitchen while listening to the adorable Kelly Ripa talking in the background about the must have toy of the season. I immediately went to December 2007 when my daughter desperately wanted that year's coveted toy. We are happily beyond that phase, but I remember all too well the pressure that a parent feels when you go from store to store only to find that dreaded empty shelf.

Not knowing what to do when I realized that I had exhausted all of my resources, I decided I only had one option. A handwritten note from Santa with a valid explanation about why it was he could not produce the requested gift. After all, I was fairly confident that my bright nine-year-old daughter could assimilate the issue of supply and demand. Sadly, the note was not received well. You should know there were tears coupled with a long discussion about what was believed to be the magical abilities of Santa and why it was that he had failed. We managed to salvage the day, as there were family festivities that luckily overshadowed the disappointment of the morning.

I have taken the liberty of sharing with you the poem that greeted Kate as she woke up on a chilly December 25, 2007. You should also know that Kate is now a teenager and has forgiven the events of that day.

The story begins with a girl they call Kate. She was smart and funny and all around great! 

Her parents once adorned her with a dress and a bow. Until one day she said, with her head hanging low,"I don't like dresses and big fancy bows! I am my own person, if you really must know." 

Her parents stood shocked and said, with great interest, "What else do you want~for next month is Christmas." The girl they call Kate said, "Let me see...the item I really want is a Nintendo Wii."

The investigation ensued and Santa was called, for this game they call a Wii was nowhere to be found. The elves were amused that Santa would request a Wii so late in the season. You surely must jest! They thought and they thought and they thought a little more. But it still was no use. They were sad to the core.

"Christmas must go on", Santa said with great zeal! "Perhaps if you wait, you will get a better deal." So off to the mall Santa directed the elves. Although it was tough with the dwindling shelves. They stood in line for what seemed like days. When at last it was time. They had conquered the maze. The elves promptly told the story of Kate. And the man, half-listening, said, "Sorry, too late." But he did have an idea, which didn't seem hard. "What about giving her a Best Buy card?"

While it's fun to play on Christmas Day, there is simply no possible way. But it won't be hard to use the card when December rolls away. The Wii will be in stock and then you can flock to the nearest Best Buy Store. Until then we respectfully suggest that you play on the one next door...


Love,

Santa and the Elves





No comments:

Post a Comment