May 13, 2013

One Of Those Special Teachers...


I love Ted.com!  I have posted vignettes in previous blogs from speakers who have resonated with me on a variety of topics.  Last week was teacher appreciation week across the country.  Frankly, I think every week should be teacher appreciation week.  After all, they are overworked, underpaid, rarely appreciated, and oftentimes supplement their curriculum with their own funds.

I have added a link below to a Ted Talk, which spotlights a teacher by the name of Rita Pierson.  She's the kind of teacher who likely has hundreds of students who fondly remember her long after they have moved on from her classroom.  Why? Because she totally gets it.  She has spent forty years connecting with the children in her classes.

Thank you, Ms. Pierson.  You have reminded me that every kid needs a champion. I have always believed that you never know when you will inspire a child while simply going about your day.  It could be someone in your child's school or a neighbor who may need a little extra attention.  I remember several adults and teachers during my childhood who have no idea how instrumental they were as they unknowingly gave me guidance in my formative years.  I hope you will take a few minutes to be inspired by Rita Pierson, too!  




http://www.ted.com/talks/rita_pierson_every_kid_needs_a_champion.html


4 comments:

  1. Julie-
    Each week I look forward to your posts. Keep them coming! This one was truly inspirational.
    xo
    caroline

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caroline~ Thank you so much for your note. Jules

      Delete
  2. My senior English teacher, Nancy Fahrenholz, first impressed me with what seemed like a new outfit every day and the red sports car she drove to school. I should say she caught my attention with those two things. What she really did was inspire me to become a teacher. She made a connection with each one of us: applauding our efforts, offering wise options on our missteps. All this with grace and a quiet demeanor that belied her strength. She suffered no fools with the exception of the Class Clown who interrupted our 4th period class every now and then. She'd give him his 3 minutes of fame, then resume her teaching. Powerful. ---Linda Thatcher, Portland OR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda~ Thanks for your note. Loved it!!! xo Jules

      Delete