December 5, 2012

No, thank you...


Why is it that we teach our kiddos to say, “No, thank you."  But we, as women, are not taking our own advice?  Have you ever been talked into chairing a committee or running an event because all eyes were on you?  Or, have you ever been at the market and the cashier says, “Would you like to add $5.00 for cancer research?”  You just know there are five people behind you and already you start to feel their judgment if you don’t pony up?  Why are we made to feel like we are failures if we say, “NO?”
 
So, one day I was at the market and the cashier asked the woman in front of me if she wanted to donate to breast cancer research.    She looked right at her and calmly said, “Thank you, but I think I’ll pass today.”  Oh, my gosh!  It was quite possibly the perfect response.  Clear but polite!  This lady was a pro in the art of saying, “No.” 
 
So, the next time you are feeling cajoled into doing something you don’t want to do, you are welcome to glean my favorite quote from that awesome lady at the market. “Thank you, but I think I’ll pass today.”

2 comments:

  1. Great advice! May I offer a refinement? Drop the "think" because if leaves an opening for the really pushy. "Thank you. I'll pass today" is adding power to your response.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment. I appreciate that you took the time to read by blog. I hope you will continue to follow my other posts.

      Delete