December 18, 2012

My gift to you...

If you ask any child who has been to our house they will say, "Kate's mom makes the best chocolate chip cookies."  It's kinda my thing and, frankly, there are as many adults who would ditto that sentiment.  We had one neighbor when we lived in Washington, who will remain nameless (Brian M_ _ _ _ n), who could not get enough of them and told me one time that he thought they should be illegal they were so good!  I would even go as far as to challenge one Ms. Martha Stewart to a throw down to see which of us could produce the best chocolate chip cookie.  That is how confident I am about these little nuggets of goodness.

With that said, I am feeling generous today.  The past few days have been difficult for all of us.  Trying to navigate through the events of Friday while still trying to remain upbeat about the holidays and the beginning of a fresh new year.  I have decided that I am going to give away something that I have kept close to the breast (I mean vest) for nearly 20 years.  I am giving away my recipe.  I am putting it into cyberspace because, at the end of the day, it's just a thing.  And I am really trying not to be defined by things these days.

So, from my kitchen to your kitchen...may you enjoy many batches of happiness!

xoxo
Jules


                                        Kate's Mom's Chocolate Chip Cookies



1 1/2 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
1 1/8 cup sugar
1 1/8 cup brown sugar
4 1/4 cup flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp vanilla
3 eggs
4 cups chocolate chips

Mix butter, sugar, and brown sugar with an electric mixer.  Add eggs (one at a time) and vanilla to the sugar mixture.  Combine dry ingredients together and add to the sugar mixture one cup at a time.  Stir in chocolate chips with a large mixing spoon.

I like to use a small ice cream scoop so each cookie looks the same.  Bake cookies on parchment paper (I know that sounds so Martha but she's right...it makes a difference) at 325 for 16 minutes.  The cookies will seem a little under baked but never fear.  They will firm up a bit when you remove them from the oven.  Let them cool a bit and enjoy.

As a side note: The dough freezes exceptionally well.  I pre-scoop the cookies and freeze them in a plastic container.  That way you can have freshly baked cookies anytime.

You should also know that all requests to clean rooms or playrooms should be made prior to dispensing a cookie.  They have long been used as an incentive to complete tasks.  Bribery is such an ugly word.  I much prefer words like goal oriented, team player, and reward.  

No comments:

Post a Comment