December 12, 2012

A mish mash of awesomeness

So...here's the deal~I am a serious creature of habit.  Like most women I hold strong opinions about what I believe to be best products, services, and daily practices for the best price.

Now that I have a blog and a small handful of loyal followers (hopefully soon to be a BIG handful of loyal followers), I am going to give you my very own mish mash of awesomeness.  It is a bunch of stuff that I swear by and have come to love love love in my daily life.  Now, for the boys reading this you may be a little red in the face in some places because I call it like I see it.  And that means girlie stuff.

Let's begin with the brain.  A few years ago I asked my Gynecologist if becoming increasingly forgetful was something to worry about.  She said,"Julie, if you can't remember where your keys are that's normal. If you forget what your keys do, you have a problem."  Nevertheless, I started thinking about ways to tax my brain power everyday.  I found the most awesome game on Yahoo.  It's called "Word Roundup."  It gives you clues and then you have to figure out the word and find that word on the puzzle.  It takes less than ten minutes and so far so good.  No idea where my keys are, but I still know what to do with them when I find them!  Oh! By the way, websites like Lumosity charge you every month for new games and this one is free!  Thank you, Yahoo!

Now onto breakfast.  Everyday I fill (and I mean fill) the blender with kale and spinach and add a little milk and a few spoons of chia seeds.  Chia seeds are packed with protein, fiber, and Omega-3 fatty acids.  I get them at Trader Joe's but they are available everywhere.  Now blend it down to make room for the sweet stuff.  Add any fruit of your choice so you don't have that "oh crap, I'm drinking a salad experience."  Apple, pear, and frozen berries are good.  Although, pineapple and a banana are a must for me.  The banana gives it great texture and the pineapple gives it a punch of sweetness.   Plus~did you know that consuming pineapple makes everything smell better?  Yes, ladies~down there.  I told you...I call it like I see it.  But I digress...  The smoothie will fill you up until lunch and you have already consumed the majority of your fruits and veggies for the day.  So...if you fall off the wagon in the afternoon and accidentally (on purpose) hit the button for the Snickers rather than the granola bar, you don't have to feel bad!

Now.. the real nitty gritty about lotions and potions.  I am not one that has a slew of different go to beauty regimes.  I find what works for me and I stay with it.  This system seems to serve me well and really saves on the pocketbook in the long run.  I have a difficult time spending HUGE amounts of money on well packaged sweet smelling fancy schmancy stuff.  So, these are my recommendations.

For cuticles and hand lotion I use Healthy Hoof.  I buy it at Amazon and it lasts forever.  It was originally made for horses and has, as a result, been an excellent choice for my very own hooves!

For body wash and body lotion Cetaphil RestoraDerm is an absolute must.  Both are gentle but makes your skin super duper soft.

Now onto the hair.  I have used Wen Cleansing Conditioner for about five years.  I stopped using shampoo altogether and have not gone back.  Wen can be purchased on Amazon, as well, and makes my very curly and coarse hair more manageable.  It can be used for all hair types and does not have any of the bad sulfates that cause your hair to become limp or frizzy.

As for make up, I discovered Boom! by Cindy Joseph about 18 months ago.  She has actually become an acquaintance of mine through a bizarre set of circumstances.  If you read my article on More.com, you will recognize her name and her story.  Cindy is a make up artist turned model turned business woman.  Her line is all of four products but they really pack a punch.  I kicked the powdery foundation to the curb a few years back after noticing that it was settling into my lines and not giving me a very natural appearance.  If you are interested her website is www.boombycindyjoseph.com and she has a series of videos that explain her makeup line, which are cleverly called boomsticks!  I find the result to be a natural glow that lasts all day.

The next recommendation is a bit spendy but it has made such a nice difference in the texture of my skin.  It is called the Clarisonic Mia 2, a hand held rotating face brush.  I purchased mine at Sephora and I have not regretted it a bit.

I am ending this blog with a topic that creates embarrassment and frustration with most women.  I am talking about hair removal.  Other than laser treatments, we are constantly seeking ways to remove unsightly hair from face to toe.  Let me just say this about facial hair, I have always been amused by the term "lip wax."  I have never personally met a woman with hair on her actual mouth.  Let's just be honest...it's a lady-stache.  Frankly, I don't see what the big deal is but I have found the single best facial hair wax and it doesn't hurt at all.  The brand is "Parissa" and the best one for the face is the strip free hot wax for short course hair.  The box is Tiffany blue and the wax comes in a small pot. You can heat it up directly on the stove or purchase a small Parissa plug in heater so you can heat the wax in the bathroom.  Okay...now onto the nethers.  The most painful part of getting a bikini wax is paying for it.  The single best home bikini wax is MOOM Waxing Strips or purchase a microwavable jar of MOOM Wax with Tea Tree Oil.  It comes with everything you need and it is a far more cost effective way than professional waxing.

So, there you have it!  My own little mish mash of favorite things that I use regularly.  If you have your own must haves, please feel free to comment and share with the class!






No comments:

Post a Comment